1 national; especially in reference to the government of the United States as distinct from that of its member units; "the Federal Bureau of Investigation"; "federal courts"; "the federal highway program"; "federal property"
2 of or relating to the central government of a federation; "a federal district is one set aside as the seat of the national government"
3 being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the Civil War; "Union soldiers"; "Federal forces"; "a Federal infantryman" [syn: Union]
4 characterized by or constituting a form of government in which power is divided between one central and several regional authorities; "a federal system like that of the United States"; "federal governments often evolved out of confederatons" [ant: unitary]
Pertaining to a league or treaty; derived from an agreement or covenant between parties, especially between nations
- Russian: федеративный (f'ed'ertívnyj)
Pertaining to the national government level
- A law-enforcement official of the FBI; short for federal agent.
Federal or foederal (archaic) may refer to:
- Federalism, a political philosophy
- Federation, a union of states
- Federal republic, a federation of republics
- Federal constitutional monarchy, a federation of monarchies or a federal organised monarchy
- Central government, the common level of government of a federation
- Federal government
- Federal government of the United States
- Government of Canada
- Government of Australia
- Government of Russia
- Federal district, a subdivision under the direct control of a federal government
- Federal, the debut album by Vallejo, California rapper E-40
- Federal style architecture, a U.S. style of Georgian architecture
- Federal (Amtrak), a passenger train providing an overnight Boston–Washington, DC service in 2003 and 2004
- Federal Cartridge, a U.S. ammunitions manufacturer
- Federal Records, a subsidiary label of King Records, U.S.
- Federal Reserve, the U.S. central bank
federal in Spanish: Federal (desambiguación)
federal in Dutch: Federal
federal in Simple English: Federal
Bow Street runner, FBI, FBI agent, G-man, Secret Service, Sherlock Holmes, T-man, agent, amanuensis, baggage agent, business agent, claim agent, clerk, commercial agent, commission agent, consignee, customer agent, detective, dupe, factor, fed, federal agent, freight agent, functionary, general agent, hotel detective, house detective, house dick, implement, inquiry agent, instrument, insurance agent, investigator, land agent, law agent, literary agent, loan agent, narc, news agent, official, operative, parliamentary agent, passenger agent, plainclothesman, police detective, press agent, private detective, private investigator, puppet, purchasing agent, real estate agent, revenuer, sales agent, secretary, sleuth, special agent, station agent, steward, store detective, theatrical agent, ticket agent, tool, travel agent, treasury agent, walking delegateG-man, MP, absolute, aristocratic, associative, authoritarian, autocratic, autonomous, bailiff, beadle, beagle, blending, bound bailiff, bureaucratic, captain, catchpole, chief of police, civic, civil, combinative, combinatory, combining, commissioner, constable, constitutional, corporational, democratic, deputy, deputy sheriff, despotic, detective, dictatorial, fascist, fed, federalist, federalistic, federative, flic, fusing, gendarme, government man, governmental, gubernatorial, heteronomous, incorporating, incorporative, inspector, lictor, lieutenant, mace-bearer, marshal, matriarchal, matriarchic, merging, monarchal, monarchial, monarchic, monocratic, mounted policeman, narc, officer, official, oligarchal, oligarchic, parliamentarian, parliamentary, patriarchal, patriarchic, patrolman, peace officer, pluralistic, police captain, police commissioner, police constable, police inspector, police matron, police officer, police sergeant, policeman, policewoman, political, portreeve, reeve, republican, roundsman, self-governing, sergeant, sergeant at arms, sheriff, superintendent, theocratic, tipstaff, tipstaves, totalitarian, trooper, uniting